Present Perfect Continuous Tense – Rules, Examples, and Exercises

The Present Perfect Continuous Tense is used to show actions that started in the past and are still continuing or actions that recently stopped but have present results. It focuses on the duration of an activity rather than the completion.

1) When Do We Use Present Perfect Continuous?

  • To show an action that started in the past and continues now: I have been studying English for 2 hours.
  • To describe recently finished actions with present results: She is tired because she has been running.
  • To emphasize duration of an activity: They have been playing football all morning.

2) Sentence Structure

Affirmative:
Subject + has/have + been + Verb+ing + Object
Example: He has been reading a book for 1 hour.

Negative:
Subject + has/have + not + been + Verb+ing + Object
Example: I have not been watching TV today.

Question:
Has/Have + Subject + been + Verb+ing + Object?
Example: Have you been studying for the exam?

3) Common Time Expressions

  • for (duration) – I have been working for 3 hours.
  • since (starting point) – She has been living here since 2015.
  • all day / all morning / recently – They have been playing all morning.

4) Rules to Remember

  • Use has with singular subjects (he, she, it).
  • Use have with plural subjects (I, you, we, they).
  • Always use been + verb+ing after has/have.
  • Focus on the duration of the activity, not just completion.

5) Common Mistakes

❌ Wrong: She has been work here since morning.
✅ Correct: She has been working here since morning.

❌ Wrong: I have been watched TV for 2 hours.
✅ Correct: I have been watching TV for 2 hours.

6) Practice Exercises

Fill in the blanks with the correct form of the verb (Present Perfect Continuous):

  1. He ___ (study) English for 3 hours.
  2. They ___ (play) cricket since morning.
  3. Have you ___ (wait) for the bus long?
  4. She ___ (work) in the garden all day.
  5. I ___ (not/run) today.

7) Answers

  1. has been studying
  2. have been playing
  3. been waiting
  4. has been working
  5. have not been running

Conclusion

The Present Perfect Continuous Tense is useful to emphasize the duration of an activity or show recently finished actions with present results. Remember: use has/have + been + verb+ing and time expressions like for, since, all day, recently. Practice daily for fluency.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Articles in English Grammar (A, An, The) – Rules, Examples, and Exercises

Countable and Uncountable Nouns – Rules, Examples, and Exercises

Prepositions in English – Rules, Types, Examples, and Exercises