Past Continuous Tense – Rules, Examples, and Exercises
The Past Continuous Tense is used to describe actions that were in progress at a specific time in the past. It emphasizes the ongoing nature of past actions.
1) When Do We Use Past Continuous?
- To describe an action in progress at a past time – I was reading at 8 PM last night.
- To describe two simultaneous past actions – She was cooking while he was studying.
- To show interrupted past actions – I was sleeping when the phone rang.
2) Sentence Structure
Affirmative:
Subject + was/were + Verb+ing + Object
Example: He was playing football at 5 PM.
Negative:
Subject + was/were + not + Verb+ing + Object
Example: They were not watching TV yesterday.
Question:
Was/Were + Subject + Verb+ing + Object?
Example: Was she studying at 7 PM?
3) Practice Exercises
- I ___ (read) a book at 9 PM last night.
- They ___ (play) cricket in the park yesterday.
- ___ (you/watch) TV when I called?
- She ___ (cook) dinner while he was reading.
- We ___ (not/sleep) at 10 PM.
4) Answers
- was reading
- were playing
- Were you watching
- was cooking
- were not sleeping
Conclusion
The Past Continuous Tense is used for actions in progress in the past. Use was/were + verb+ing and practice with simultaneous or interrupted actions to become fluent.
Comments
Post a Comment